Monday, September 24, 2012

Author Vincenzo Bilof

Nightmare of the Dead synopsis:

In a world of war and mayhem, a woman awakens on a train without memory or identity and her world becomes a twisted nightmare when she's attacked by fleshless, undead cannibals. After taking the name of the notorious outlaw, Neasa Bannan, she uncovers a horrifying conspiracy engineered by Doctor Saul, the psychopathic mastermind behind the Confederacy's deadly flesh-hungry weapons. A homicidal gunslinger, a jilted lover, and a brotherhood of killers emerge out of Neasa's tragic, blood-soaked past while the living dead ravage the land. With the fate of her identity and self-image in the balance, Neasa must decide: save the Union from the undead menace, or surrender to Saul's vision of ultra-violence.

BUY A COPY HERE!


THE INTERVIEW:

When did you first want to write for a living?

Two things greatly contributed to my love for writing: action figures and the third grade. I enjoyed creating my own make-believe worlds and stories with toys, particularly Marvel Comics toys. I knew I enjoyed the art of storytelling when my third grade teacher provided us with pictures on these sheets of paper that had very large lines to write on. Our assignment was to fill three of these large lines with a story that was inspired by the cartoon. After writing several pages, I presented my story to the class and was rewarded with laughter and applause. I was a success! I asked my teacher for a second image to write about, and ever since then, I've always enjoyed writing.


What made you decide on horror as a genre?

I've always been very passionate about the literary tradition, and dystopian fiction, like 1984, showed me that literature could be a vehicle for ideas. The horror genre provides a unique opportunity to explore several ideas that have never been expounded upon, with the exception of a handful of authors. Horror can be used to explore the human condition in a more literary fashion. Authors like Kafka, Barker, Lovecraft, and Poe certainly used made a connection between horror and literature, but for some odd reason, there now exists a massive gulf between the genre and novels that explore ideas. I believe that in the more contemporary sense, horror is a vastly unexplored genre that is waiting for an artistic work that will transcend the formulaic horror archetypes and blend them with the literary tradition.


How long have you been writing?

I have actually been writing stories for the purpose of publishing them since I was in high school, though most of that work has certainly been destroyed. I have several unpublished novels that I could easily self-publish, but choose not to. One of my unpublished works is a book that I like to consider an anti-zombie novel. I have been in the writing "game" since 2011.


What kind of inspirations do you have?

Most of my inspiration is derived from my extremely vivid nightmares, though my imagination might be provoked by any number of variables, including music and paintings.


Favorite authors / books?

The late Roberto Bolano is my literary hero, and I'm also a big fan of Cormac McCarthy. I happen to love Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. Within the horror genre, I have been very impressed by William Todd Rose.


What can we expect to see from you in the near future?

I am finishing the final edits on a zombie / action novel set in Detroit called Necropolis Now, which is going to start a series through Severed Press. I'm also working on a project called Zombie Trash, which features an erotic zombie television show that's being used by a dystopian society to brainwash its public. Think The Road meets Hunger Games meets 1984. Last but not least, Season of Evil is being drafted, which is the sequel to Nightmare of the Dead.


Vincenzo's Bio:

Vincenzo Bilof is an author from Detroit, Michigan, and is the recipient of SNM Horror Magazine's "Literary Achievement" award in 2011. Vincenzo has published more than twenty short stories, including appearances in SNM Publishing's Bonded by Blood IV: Scarlet Sunset, Zombie Buffet from Open Casket Press, and Frightmares by Dark Moon Books. Vincenzo has also authored two zombie novels: Nightmare of the Dead from Severed Press, and Under a Red Sun from Open Casket Press. Forthcoming anthology appearances include Psycho Cinema from Pill Hill Press and I'll Never Go Away Vol. 2 from Rainstorm Press.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your two cents here. Yeah yeah I know, in this economy??? Okay fine, your one cent unless you feel generous. :^)